Nov 16, 2011

11/16/11 - Kemah Boardwalk

The next day Nick took care of the kids (even Brooklyn) so just the sisters could spend the day together.  We took a drive down to the gulf to spend a day on the Kemah Boardwalk.  We started the day with a nice lunch at our favorite Texas Steakhouse, Saltgrass. 
Everything's bigger in Texas....haven't you heard.  Even the chocolate bars.  We did some fun shopping.
By far, we had the most fun going on the rides.  There were hardly any people there so after going on a ride, we would ask the attendant to just let us stay on and start the ride again....and again....again please?  The best ride in the world was the Drop Zone.  The ride that takes you super high in the air and then suddenly drops you....AWESOME!!  After 8 times being dropped to what felt like our deaths, Hillary had had enough and chose to watch Merry and I go twice more.  It was a blast!  Merry and Hillary even fell to the ground feeling sick and dizzy after getting off a different ride earlier in the day.  I laughed so hard I almost had an accident.
(This is what Hillary wrote on her blog about Kemah....hilarious!)
The day after Merry's late night arrival we headed off for Kemah Boardwalk. This was probably the most fun of it.  My sisters roped me into getting an all day ride pass, which is something I would have not done on my own.  I have no interest in facing fears, throwing up, or facing death but because I also have no interest in being the party pooper I quietly bought my ticket dreading what was about to happen.  Our first ride was fine.  It was the Mari-go-round.  I actually enjoyed watching Holly squirm when the ride operator told her she had to get on an animal and buckle her seat belt.  Ha ha!  It was the next one that knocked my block off.  We got on this fast spinning flying saucer that took off plenty fast enough, reversed it's spin and that's when they...pushed the red button.  That sucker was going so fast that Merry couldn't help but squish me, I couldn't hold my neck up and I couldn't keep the drool and eye water from streaming across my face.  Yes, I said drool.  I laid my head down on my shoulder ready to die and the lines were drawn from my mouth and eyes.  Holly sure got a kick out of watching it.  We must have been momentarily translated because when Merry and I came to and fell out of the ride we were rolling on the ground.  All of this is literal for those who are reading.  I have no doubts that observers were convinced that we had been drinking, but cup of sister has not yet been invented.  Merry and I couldn't walk.  All we could do is laugh in a heap on the ground.  This is the part where you would be running or filming.
We went on a few more rides and acted like "you know what's" and finally took a break.  Why?  BECAUSE MY SHIRT KEPT ON COMING UNBUTTONED!!!  Not just a button or two.  Try four or five in the middle of eating, walking, and rides.  I warned Holly before the day started that she needed to warn me if my shirt came unbuttoned and she decided to come up with a signal.  It was very discrete.  I can't even explain it.  It was like a bird bursting out of her shirt and blowing up.  So, we went to the gift shops and Merry bought me a shirt out of embarrassment.  We took pictures of us surrounded with pillows that looked like candy.  Ate ice cream and were returned to making ourselves miserable.

Now.  Merry.  I still don't understand it, but I'm proud of her.  We went on a ride that slowly took us up and without warning dropped us.  I hopped on continuing to submit to peer pressure, but I was fine to go on the ride once.  So, started going up. I was doing ok.  Soon I heard some whimpering.  This whimpering quickly escalated to screaming. Then, a horrifying screeching.  If I wasn't scared before the ride I was certainly horrified now.  I really thought that Merry was going to need to talk to a psychologist due to going on this ride.  I've never seen anyone so scared.  So, she freaks out, we drop, it's scary and I'm glad it's over.  I turn to Merry to ask her if she's alright and she asks the ride operator if we can go again!!!  "What?!  You were being tortured!  You almost died!  You were going to be a squished bug and you wanna go again?!?!"  She said she wanted to face her fears and if she got off she would never go again.  And up we went.  Did the screaming calm down on the second time up?  No, it was worse.  I was getting more scared with every ride.  After we went on this terrorist machine, not even three or four times but EIGHT TIMES, I was done.  I couldn't handle it any more.  By the eighth time Merry was impressively gaining more and more composure but I was so terrified I couldn't give into the peer pressure anymore.  I had tried pushing my hands up into the seat, wrapping my legs around the bottom of the seat, closing my eyes, and whatever else I could think of but it didn't get easier for me.  So, I got off and took pictures and video of my two crazy sisters who went a total of TEN TIMES.  Whatever.  I don't get it.

In spite of my lack of enthusiasm for riding rides I have to admit that it ended up being the most fun I've had in a long time.
It was such an amazing day.  We get so few opportunities to do things together.  I will never forget this day.  :)

3 comments:

Callie said...

I wish we got more chances to do things all together. Next time we will have to get all 5 girls out there together.") I am very jealous of missing out on the fun. It is too true "cup of sister" in our cases that is one of the best boosts I can get.

Ang said...

so funny! thanks for a good laugh tonight, and I have to say I'm jealous of the chance you had to hang out with just your sisters!

Merry said...

Hillary summed that up nicely! So much fun!