
Then it was off to the MRI machine. Lots of people hate this machine. Not me. The noises and the movement of the machine was enough to put me to sleep like a baby. When it was over....I asked if they could put me back in. :)
This is an MRI of the shoulder with the dye inside. It really helps doctors locate tears and problems inside the shoulder much better then a regular MRI.
I went back to my Orthopedic Surgeon today to get the results of my MRI. I have a few Labral tears and I will need Labral Repair/Reconstruction and all my ligaments will need to be tightened. The tears allow the ball of my shoulder to move around and slip out of the socket. In response, my Rotator Cuff is holding on to my arm for dear life to avoid complete dislocation. All of that is casuing the unending and increasing pain I have been experiencing for the last 20 years, with the last few years being very intense. This pain has prevented me from doing many things the past few years. Simple things are very painful like pulling my covers up at night, getting dressed, etc. Many exercises are impossible, but even jogging is painful. It feels like my shoulder is slipping out of the socket ALL THE TIME. I was reaching my breaking point and that is what lead me to the Dr's office and I am glad I won't have to deal with this pain for the rest of my life.
I will be going in for the surgery on March 15th. After the surgery I will not be able to feel my shoulder because of a pain blocking medication that will wear off in 12-24 hours after surgery. I will have to stay in the bandages and shoulder sling for 2 days until I go back to the Dr to have them removed. Then I will wear the sling for the next 4 weeks, moving my hand and occasionally my elbow ONLY. Every following month I will be given a little more rotation and freedom for my shoulder until 5 months post-op. A full recovery is expected in 6-12 months. I will be able to play basketball and throw a football again without pain. It kind of makes me sad I waited so long to have this done. But, I don't see how I could have been without the use of my arm while having babies and dealing with a young child with a disability.
I am excited and terrified. It is going to be a long and painful rehabilitation period, but the result will hopefully be worth all the pain. I'm crossing my fingers. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment