I was looking at some of the comments my mom has made on my facebook posts. She called me Wheelie in one of them. So, I want to explain where my mother's nickname for me came from.When I was about 2 years old I would go outside and get on my brother's Big Wheel. I would ride down the sidewalk doing pop-wheelies while my brother ran behind me screaming to get his bike back. Since then, my mother has called me Wheelie.
I was one of the managers of a craft store for a few years and my mom would frequently come in to purchase art supplies. She would call me Wheelie in front of everyone and I am so used to it that I didn't even notice until some of the other employees started asking me what and why she was calling me that. Funny!
I like when my mom calls me Wheelie. However, she is the only one who is allowed to do so. One of the employees tried calling me Wheelie at work once as a joke and I got very upset. Isn't it funny how some things are so loving and show so much affection when they come from your parents, but a put down when said by someone else.
Anyway, I asked Kennedy if she liked when her friends call her Kenny or Ken and she said it bothered her. Then I asked her if she liked when her dad and I call her Kinney or Kinney Taylor (we have called her Kinney Taylor since she was born) and she said she loves it. I know how she feels.
2 comments:
It is funny how the nicknames mom gave us are so personal. I would also not like it if anyone else called me "Hillar" the way mom does but I love that she calls me it. There's some sense of love and security that comes from it. We have a great mother!
You girls are so sweet. Those pet names have a lot of meaning to me, far deeper than they may indicate to others. They hold in them my amazement at what each one of you accomplished at such a young age. And I continue to be amazed at you. If I were to hear someone else call you by those names, I would think to myself, "You have no idea." My children continue to be my greatest gifts in life.
Post a Comment