Day 18:
My favorite event of our entire vacation was this moment.....The Dirty Dash!
All my sisters came up to Hillary's house in Montana and we drove the next day to Billings to participate in the Dirty Dash together. Jaret and Hillary were also part of the team (poor Jaret and all the girls). We took some pictures before the mayhem started when you could tell our shirts were maroon. Brittany could not race with us because of the cast on her broken wrist (not to mention she is also pregnant) so she ended up taking a lot of awesome pictures for us.
The race started and right off the bat we had no interest in running or making progress on the course. We were all about kicking mud at each other, throwing mud, and smearing mud all over each others clothing, face and hair. We immediately fell into last place. We frankly couldn't understand what everyone was in such a hurry about - let's get dirty!!!
I avoided some of the obstacles because my shoulder was still bothering me. The hay bails were fun and we all threw a lot of hay on each other to mix with the mud. I think this is when Jaret really understood just how slow our little team would be moving. All race long he kept running ahead and then waiting for us to catch up with him. Poor guy, up against a crazy sister/daughter frenzy.
Brittany did not follow us out of the stadium to take pictures, so I bought a few pics off the Dirty Dash website of some of the obstacles. This was a mud trench that was lined with about 6-8 mud launchers that launched mud towards your face as you tried to trudge through the muddy mess. We all took shots to the face and were basically blinded. It was super hilarious and exhausting. Not to mention that we couldn't stop wrestling each other. When I got to the end of the trench I called Hillary over to help me get out.....and then pulled her into the pit and ran away as fast as I could get myself out of there. Imagine a pig trying to gain footing and run up a little hill to get away from a ferocious chasing wolf....that was me.
This giant slide was a fun challenge. You had to keep standing up and jumping down it a few times to get to the bottom. My last leaping jump sent my down to the end of the slide so fast I face planted into the mud and got stuck at the bottom with water pouring onto my backside. I couldn't push myself up because of the lack of strength and ability in my shoulder so my sisters came to my rescue and helped roll me over. It was such a good thing we were last on the course....we really were making a spectacle of ourselves and having a CRAZY GOOD TIME!
Towards the end of the course we stopped to wash off our faces a bit in one of the sprinklers. We were not aware that my sister Brittany was watching and taking pictures of us from the stadium. As soon as we saw her we acted our usual crazy and possed for the camera.
After coming into the stadium there was one final mud pit that we were going to take full advantage of. Everyone else took a big jump into the pit but I decided to dive in.
After diving in, Brittany got some great shots of my face pounding into the muddy water. My eyes were again filled with dirt, but it was so worth it.

Then it was time for our last round of mud wrestling......bring it.
This is my favorite picture!
We finally decided to cross the finish line. What a motley crew we are.
We found the Dirty Dash sign and took some pictures of how clean we managed to stay.
Our muddy team picture.
We had to get a picture with Brittany and we were jealous of her nice clean shirt. To fix that problem, all the girls gave her a great big hug!
We were able to give ourselves a very sophisticated bath where they hose down the cattle for cattle shows and auctions. I was wondering why and who kept spraying me in the face during our shower and when I saw these pictures later I realized that my brother-in-law was the culprit :)
We got cleaned up, ate some lunch, drove 2 hours home, took some real showers and ate dinner. This was one of the most fun things I have ever done as an adult. I didn't ever get this messy as a child. I highly recommend everyone try it - I am addicted. Because of this experience, Kennedy and I are going to form a team and participate in another mud run in September to raise money for the Special Olympics. These mud runs might just become my new hobby!!
Later that evening I went onto the front porch to find Kennedy. She was reading the Book of Mormon (the Young Men and Young Woman in our ward were challenged to read the entire BofM during the summer and Kennedy read most of it while driving on our trip). I saw her crying and asked her what was wrong. She told me she was reading in Helaman about the second coming of Christ and she felt like she was not ready for the Savior's return to earth. I reminded her of all the wonderful things she is doing in her life and about what a really good person she is. It was a wonderful moment I will remember all my life.
And then later on..............
We decided we needed to watch a scary movie. Hillary and Callie are not a fan of scary movies and watched a different movie in the master bedroom. The rest of us started watching "Woman In Black" and were about 3/4 of the way through the film when Hillary and Callie decided to drape themselves in black skirts and climb through the bedroom window. They went to the front porch and stood right in the open front window starring at us. The room was actually very dark and no one saw them there. At the end of a really scary part they both let out a scream.....after jumping a mile into the air I thought I might have a heart attack, but instead decided to grab a camera and take pictures of the moment. They got us good - it was awesome!
What a perfect end to such a perfect day. I love my sisters and time spent with them is priceless.















No comments:
Post a Comment